Hong Kong Street Zhen Ji @ Blk 151 Ang Mo Kio

Very often, we travel all over the sunny island or fly overseas in search of the most delicious food in the world without realizing that the tastiest ones lie in our own backyard.

HK Street Chun Kee @ Blk 151 AMK is simply a 10-minutes walk away from my house but I have never visited this outlet after since the branch at Upp. Thomson Road closed down. I've only remember it for its San Lou Hor Fun but my mum and aunties are loyal customers of their Fish Head Bee Hoon Soup. Finally, we decided to hop over here for a simple Mother's Day lunch instead of patronizing any Chinese restaurants or other zichar stall. 

Sometimes I find myself a picky eater but my mum and my dad are actually stricter food critics than me. And being a fish lover myself, I was curious to try the XO fish head bee hoon soup, which indeed was as wholesome and delicious as what my mum had described. The smallest bowl at $6 (medium $10/ large $13) was good enough for sharing between two average eaters and my family of four shared the fish head and fish slice version. 

If you fuss over the bony parts, head for the XO fish slice bee hoon soup as you get chunky of fresh, tender fish slices submerged in a milky broth.
I have a soft spot for milky broth (regardless whether they add milk or if the color comes from long hours of boiling the fish bones) and that is why I always love fish head bee hoon soup. The broth is cleaner and more robust than the 881 XO fish bee hoon soup, without any alien particles to interfere the taste. 

If you can take chili padi, throw some into your soup and let it simmer. I loved the burning heat that tinged my tongue as I slurped the soup gleefully with the thin bee hoon. Yes, I know this doesn't make sense to many loyal fans of thick bee hoon but thin bee hoon, in my and my mum's perspective, works best as it soaks up the essence of the soup like spongebob squarepants swimming in the ocean. It didn't reek too much of the XO but you can always add on more XO at an extra $2.
We also had the stir fried kai lan which was plain salty and greasy. Skip that. But the Har Cheong Kai ($10) was a gem uncovered by accident. These golden prawn paste wings were shatteringly crunchy on the thin crust without being tasteless and dry on the inside. A sign of good marinade that did not border on over-saltiness. This would definitely fit into the menu for late night supper hunters. 

The Chestnut Tofu Beancurd ($10) was another dark horse that did not tempt me at all. So I did a silly mistake of not touching it until the last piece as everyone was too stuffed for more. The crust turned out to so thin and crunchy, no hints of sogginess or doughy-ness which is a common issue in fish-and-chips batter. 
Don't forget to dip that in the cheap-quality mayonnaise, most likely from those kind from the blue brand containers which some western hawker stalls also used. Cheap in taste but doesn't mean it's not delicious. I like this kind of sweet, old-school mayo. 

And that to me, is a good blob of fat. 

Note: there are two HK street zhen ji in AMK. The other one is at Blk 158. This stall is housed in the same kopitiam as Soi 19 Wanton Mee


Hong Kong Street Zhen Ji 
Blk 151, Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 Singapore 560157
11am-2pm, 5pm-11pm

Comments